Saturday, November 05, 2005

Have a Nice Day


I'm annoyed when I'm in the check-out line at the local supermarket at 11pm at night, and the cheery woman on the cash register says, as I'm leaving, "Have a nice day!"

It doesn't matter what time of the day or night it is, every person at every counter in America, says as you are leaving, "Have a nice day!"

It could be five minutes to midnight at Denny's, and as I'm leaving, the cashier says, "Have a nice day!" Maybe these counter workers are so entranced by the flourescent tubes above, that they live in a timeless world, where it always feels like shiny morning time, when it makes total sense to say to someone, "Have a nice day!"

So, I'd like to add something to the culture. And that is, if it's after 5pm and before 8pm, these folks say, "have a nice evening!" If it's after 8pm, they say "have a good night!"

At this point, changing over to this system is voluntary. When I get elected President, though, I will, by Executive Order, make it a misdemeanor, to say to anyone, after the sun has set, "Have a nice day!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home